Monday, March 20, 2017

March Madness

I've been so very absent from blogging.  I am almost compelled to wonder who even blogs these days?  With social media at your fingertips via Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. who really wants to park in front of a blog and read paragraphs of type any more when you can have the immediate satisfaction of status updates, tweets, and photos to tell your life story?

Well, I'm attempting the improbable. Blog, I will see you a lot more often.  World, you will have the unfortunate opportunity of knowing what I'm thinking as the stream of consciousness flows out the tips of my fingers.  Sorry in advance.

I'm knitting again.  It's not sporadic, either.  I'm talking marathon, binge-knitting of the most epic scale.  I don't know what happened.  It started with a baby blanket for a friend's newborn baby and the next thing I know, I'm digging out old projects and plowing through new ones.  I finished two hats, three socks, and one baby blanket in the span of three weeks.  That would seem absurd if not for the fact that a couple of those socks were already halfway finished.  I've also got another blanket, two pairs of socks, a hat, and a shawl in progress...fingers itching to cast on some new socks now that a few sets of needles have been freshly emancipated.

I'm not entirely sure where this power surge motivating my knitting has come from, but it doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon.  Fueled by new stash acquisitions, Ravelry (gosh, how I missed Ravelry), and the accessibility of everyone else's projects by social media like Instagram, I am plowing forward. 

I don't promise to be ready by the end of the year when Christmas rolls around given my compulsion to give away the things I finish.  Somebody somewhere needs it!  (That somebody is usually my mother because I intend to wrap her in yarn-made hugs and bury her in my hand knit love. She is also super lucky our feet are the same size.) I do think I will be better prepared for the onslaught of birthdays and improvised gifts.  I envy those with piles of shawls.  Those industrious folks whose closets are filled with colorful and cabled sweaters are the source of my low self esteem as a knitter. The jealousy is almost unbearable at the sight of hand knit socks crammed neatly into drawers and overflowing out of cupboards.  I am compelled to vow that every single moment my hands could possibly be idle, I'll be working toward that dream of having knit so many socks for myself and my family that I never need to buy another pair again. I'd be living the dream of having a pair of socks on hand to gift away should the occasion arise at any moment.  I hope I'm not the only person with that dream.

How did people do it?  Not decades ago when store-bought clothing wasn't so readily available, how did people get by with making their own attire?  I don't know.  But here I am.  I am mad with the need to knit more.  KNIT MORE!  Whether it be yarn in my stash or newly bought, I will knit it.  There are tubs of colorful yarn for blankets.  I have piles of yarn intended for socks or shawls.  I have drawers top full of yarn for sweaters.  I intend to go through it all and make a sizeable dent by the end of this year - enough of one so that my husband doesn't keep pestering me about the space in the extra room where it is all kept.  He'll be marveling at all the finished knits instead.

Perhaps I'm being delusional.  Or maybe I'm being too ambitious.  Seriously, how much can I ever hope to achieve without garnering my husband's resentment for neglecting the dog, housework, and children?  I'm sure if I make some money by selling hand knits (finished objects, not yarn, mind you), he won't have much to argue about. Right?

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I intend to knit it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment